30 July, 2008

Chicken Fresco

I finally got a high mileage (for me) weekend in. I rode 23 miles Friday, 38 miles Saturday and then 35 miles on Sunday. My legs felt like a turd sandwich on Monday but I felt accomplished.

Friday's ride was different. Jen and I rode up to Valley Forge and after the first third of the ride she just looked at me and asked if I wanted to go down the road on our left. I was bored too so I was more than happy to try something new.

Good road. rolling hills for about a mile and it dropped us right where we started. It'll make a nice addition to our normal route.

Saturday's ride was down to the Art Museum and back. We rode down with Eric and even though I didn't want to do any hills, sure enough he added two miles of them onto our ride. Whatever, they weren't bad and it only makes me stronger.

Jen was sick on Sunday and Niko made his long awaited return to riding. He had a chest cold and hadn't been on a bike in three weeks but he still made it out (*cough*Jen*cough*).

I was late leaving to meet him so I sped down to Betzwood in a little under 18 minutes (the fastest I had ever done it before was 24 minutes). After that I just wanted to do a recovery ride, but cap'n chest cold decided to do 20+ mph until his lungs were ready to rip out of his chest. So much for recovery.

We rode towards Audubon and then went down to Conshohocken, then back to Betzwood. I was going to ride back home, but we were in a time crunch to leave for Maryland (Jen's parents have an amazing house that hangs 20 feet over a river that leads into the Chesapeake Bay) so I caught a ride back with him. My legs were beat.

Tuesday Jen and I went out and just rode down to the end of the path and back (it's a little over 17 miles). We picked up the pace on the way home and halfway between Conshy and Norristown we hear a nice "PSSSSSSST!" Yup, I got me first flat. It was in the rear and Jen kept fucking up my flow by doing things like taking the tire from me and trying to do it herself (BOO!), but I got it changed and inflated in about five minutes so I felt pretty good about it. I'm glad I practiced doing it a bunch at home before it ever really happened to me. I was a lot less flustered than I could have been. It also felt like I knew what I was doing. So yeah, if you don't know how to change a flat, learn. It's stupid easy. Just make sure you practice with the rear wheel. It's the "hard" one.

No comments: