20 August, 2008

I welcome Cyborgs


Until about a week ago, I was really starting to get good at doing hills. Not great, but what used to make me hurt became almost pleasant. I even made it 9/10ths of the way up the wall before I fell apart. It was the first time I tried to ride up it, so I'm very pleased with the result. What I'm not pleased with is that my back went out again last Wednesday.

Unlike most cyclists, or even everyone else I know with back pain, mine is not in the lower back. I lift with my knees and do whatever I can to avoid lower back pain. My pain is muscular and right in the middle of my back and in my neck. Years of terrible posture and leaning over to hear shorter people talk has made my back and shoulders a disaster area. I'm now unable to ride the Lake Nockamixon Ride I had planned to in two weeks time. I'm really disappointed.

The only good to come from this is that when I was at the Doc getting checked out, they weighed me. When I started riding back in May, I was 176lbs. By June I had dropped down to 170 and I was happy. I didn't think that I had lost any more weight until I stepped on the scales and I came in at 164 with my clothes on. That explains why hills were becoming easier.

So here's my game plan. My Doc wants me to see a Chiropractor to get my back realigned (it is trash) and he thinks that will solve the problem. I know that my muscles are dead weak and need to be built up to hold my newly realigned back in place. My plan is to get my back cracked a few times and then switch to physical therapy for a month or so to build everything up and hopefully I will be set and I'll only have to maintain my back and not have to worry about it being a little bitch again. Until then, I'm off my bike for at least another week and hopefully that's it.

No comments: