08 June, 2009

Hopefully A Sign Of Things To Come

This weekend Philadelphia hosted the 25th running of the Liberty Classic. It's usually nice because it's the one weekend of the year that everyone in the area actually tries to avoid you while in their car. This year was different for a few reasons.

First, Ted was in town for his High School reunion. He flew in Friday and brought wonderful Northwestern weather with him. It was absolutely pissing. We kept our plans and went riding despite the rain, and I'm really glad we did. He had been making all of these claims about how he hasn't had time to ride, and how out of shape he is. If you hear him saying this, don't believe him, he beat me like I owed him money on the way to Valley Forge. Once we got to the park, it was easier to keep up with him for the most part. I'm not comfortable riding in the rain at all, so on every single downhill, he would just go for it and I would ride the brakes like your grandmother. So much so that the next day my hands and forearms hurt from the death grip on had on my brakes.

We also rode into parts of the park I had never been to before, and that was awesome. I always think of the loop I do as being all there is, but there is a lot more to the park that I need to explore. I could get lost in there.

The second awesome thing about this weekend was how many people were out on bikes. Not even just the numbers, but how many people I would never think would be out on bikes... out on bikes! Everywhere I went there were people out and about and everyone was friendly and excited. The thing that shocked me the most was how natural it all felt. When people were riding around cars, the cars respected the cyclists rights, without any air of negativity. It was like it should be every day. Just goes to show you that people on bikes and people in cars can coexist on the same road, without incident.

No comments: