05 October, 2009

$80 & A Few Months...

...later and my Garmin is finally what it should have been the whole time. I now have detailed street information, and can even use the stupid thing in my car. It also tells me where local ATMs are as well as places to eat. There are more pizza joints in Bridgeport than I thought.

I rode into work yesterday, and on the way back I blew myself up. My co-worker Isaac was riding with me and even though I was done, I went out and did the Audubon Loop uphill with him. When I got to the steepest section of the hill, the muscles in my right leg started popping and just felt awful. On the way back to Norristown I just couldn't keep pace. I felt fine and I had the energy to keep riding but my legs and back hurt. On the bridge from Norristown to Bridgeport I tried to stand and the popping came back. I just sat my ass down and crawled home.

Riding with Isaac is fun because he forces me to do things I wouldn't normally try. He's heavier than I am, and has much better bike control and just kills me on downhill/windy sections. He has a compact crank with a 28T rear cassette so I can climb faster, but he can climb longer. Since we ride a lot of rolling hills, he will lose me on the downhill and then I'll catch and pass him on the uphill, only to have him whiz by me on the next downhill. Regardless, it's someone to ride with and someone I enjoy riding with. Now, if I can just convince him to ride in the cold...

No comments: