24 March, 2010

God Damn!


Isaac and I went for a ride in Valley Forge yesterday, and we were heading around the back side of the park to get to some of the trails when disaster struck. We were coming down a hill and were going to cut across a grass patch to get to the walking path. The grass patch was flat, then downhill, nothing out of the ordinary. Isaac hit it first and as soon as he started going down the hill I just saw him go right over his bars and roll. He was going 28mph. I locked my brakes and pulled off the line he took, and when I got halfway down the hill I saw what he hit. A service pipe and it's ditch. He popped up right after he stopped rolling and the side of his face was already purple and he looked very, very surprised. I did a quick concussion check and he was okay, but his helmet was cracked and you can see from the picture what his bike did. To the credit of both Giant (bike) and Specialized (helmet), both did their jobs perfectly. His front wheel, the only front wheel he had for both of his bikes, the rim is surprisingly untouched, but three spokes ripped themselves right out of the hub, so the hub is toast. Five spokes were turned and two more were just spaghetti. No damage to the fork at all. All the components still work as well. He just needs a new frame, front wheel and a lot of ice.

No comments: