07 January, 2013

Bar Sanding Progress

It's a crappy/blurry picture from my phone, but it's all I got.  I finally got all of the paint removed from the bar and it's ready for some wet sanding and UV protection.

The reason I mounted it with the stem was because I wanted to see how  well it was held in place.  Obviously, it's not mounted on the bike but it doesn't feel like the bar is going to slip without the textured paint.  The faceplate is almost touching the stem body though so it just barely fits.

The bar is down to 209g from the 214g it started at.  I expect a few grams to be added back when I spray it with UV protectant, but I didn't do this for weight savings.  In case you're wondering, carbon turns yellow when exposed to the sun if you don't protect it.  Structurally it is fine without any protection but yellowed carbon looks janky as shit.  I'm heading over to the hardware store tomorrow to see what I can grab there and what I'll have to order from the interwebs.  If everything goes well I could have a finished product in 2 days, a week tops.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: