05 June, 2013

Garmin 510

Usually when I upgrade it's because I'm genuinely trying to improve either my bike or my riding experience. I had been using the Garmin 705 for a few years now and it worked and did everything I needed it to.  But for some reason, I Just didn't like it.
When Garmin updated the 705 with the 800, I didn't feel a need to run out and replace the 705 with the fancier bells & whistles version.  .  Last year Garmin completely stopped supporting the 705 and I didn't care, because the last update for it allowed me to use my PowerTap.  I came to realize that in 3 years I had only used the map feature twice and I didn't like the size of the unit (phrasing).  But the one thing that bothered me the most was the mount.

With the 500 and 800, Garmin changed the mounting system from a sliding mount to a twist mount.  You no longer needed zip ties every time you wanted to remove and reinstall the mount and about halfway through the life cycle for those units they introduced out front mounts.  I like things to be clean and tidy on the bike and cut zip ties always look like shit.  

I had decided that since I never use the maps, I wanted a smaller, out front capable unit and that I only really used my computer for power classes, that the Garmin 500 was exactly what I wanted.  It's screen looked like a Tomagotchi Pet but it displayed all the important data I would need to see during power class.  It also does turn-by-turn directions like the 705, only without the map.  Being GPS capable, I could also look at my rides when I was done riding (no on screen maps).  So boom, I was sold. 

In the time that I made this decision and the time I actually sold my 705, Garmin released the 510 and 810.  They're updated versions of the 500 and 800 (which they still make, support and you can still buy) with a few features Garmin is hoping will make it an attractive offer versus cell phone apps.  Their launch add (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7RWxCBFBU) is hilarious but will fill you in on the details that I don't want to type out.

The only drawback to the 510 is that it's almost twice the size of the 500.  Sure, it has a bigger screen, but it's damn bigger without adding too many more features.  But it's new, and I'm a sucker for the latest and greatest, so I went ahead and got me one.  

Garmin started advertising the Argyle limited edition version about 2 weeks before I ordered mine and I just told them to ship me one of those so it would be all matchy-matchy with my team bike.  Yeah, I'm a douche.  I was worried that the blues wouldn't match but they're spot on.  I may have to call up SlipStream and see if I can do the douche-trifecta and get the matching team bottle cages at EP.  If I can I will actualy be adding weight to my bike in the name of aesthetics and that may be a first for me.  

Yesterday was my first ride with the 510 and it already has stupid Gaminisms about it that frustrate me.  If you ever buy a Garmin product, just throw all of their paperwork in the garbage and go on youtube and look up what you want to do.  It will save you time and energy.  I had to make mine sync with the heartrate strap and my powermeter before the shop ride yesterday and the "hey, we put everything in one place so you can scan for all of your devices at one time!" button doesn't fucking work.  Even though everything is set to "enable" from the factory, you have to go in and enable it and scan for individual items to get them to show up.  I never got my powermeter to sync, but I've been using it for close to 6 months now with no computer and the battery could be dead for all I know.  I'll look into that for next week.

In the meantime, I was a little taken aback by the size of the unit, even though I've seen them countless times before.  When it's mounted up it just seems big.  It also felt weird having a computer on my bike.  Thankfully, all of this time without using one has made it so I'm not constantly looking at data while I'm riding like, I used to.  I even felt like I was going to crash when I would touch the screen while riding.  It's just weird.  

Wearing the heartrate strap felt a bit odd too, but I'll get used to it.  I had stopped using heartrate because I could feel when I was pushing it too far but since March I haven't been too good of a judge of that so I want to keep tabs on it.  I didn't have time to figure out how to get my screen to display anything but the default view from the factory, so I got to see the time of the ride, time of day and my speed and distance while on the ride.  I kind of liked elapsed time for the group ride because it gives me an idea of where faster/slower groups probably are on the ride and where I am in relation to them.  I spent a good half hour playing with the settings after I got home and now have it set up how I like it.  Hopefully I will contiue to just ride my bike and periodically look at my numbers.  

Getting back to heartrate, I think my favourite feature is that you can set an audible beep for when your heartrate gets too low/high.  You can do the same thing with powerzones and I think that I'll set that up for power classes, but the max zone heartrate beep may get left on all of the time.  That's a very handy feature and it allows me to keep my eyes off the computer and still know what's going on.  The only downside is that everyone around me might know I'm pushing it too hard and be dicks.  That's a risk worth taking for me at the moment.  I'm still struggling to find my form from last year.  

So, over all I like my 510 after one use.  It's a little big, but smaller than my 705, it clearly displays all the numbers I want and it mounts it in a location that's easier to look at quickly.  While I originally thought it was an unnecessary purchase because I already had a computer that could give me the same data, I find that the new mounting location and the fact that Garmin actually support it are reasons enough to make the change, if only because I sold my 705 for the exact price that I bought my 510 for.  Like everything else, I'll keep you updated.

Praxis Works Update:

Cables are broken in but my front derailleur still needs a bit of adjusting.  If I time My shift with the ramps and give the shifter a quick push with something behind it, it will shift perfectly 8 out of 10 times.  It still grinds sometimes under tension, and that's what I'm trying to work out at the moment.  I'm thinking of trying a 7900 Dura-Ace or a Red Yaw FD in an attempt for perfection.  Right now I'm just happy the chain doesn't drop.  

No comments: