29 November, 2013

More Stuff Showed Up

My Ti spindles and matchy matchy bottle cages showed up.  The spindles are the last thing I think I will need to get the bike down to sub 15lbs with Force and PowerTap.  The cages are just for looks, and even weigh a whole 7g more than the cages they are replacing.  So, they're not going on until after I see 14.99lbs on the scale.



One of the added benefits of the spindles is that you can use an 8mm allen to take them on and off.  The stainless spindles from Speedplay are wrench flat only, and I don't know of any tools on a multitool that are a 15mm wrench type.  The pair came in at 61g combined, and with the pedal bodies on, 83g ea. and 166g for the set.  That should get the bike down to 14.97lbs, but I have a feeling the Park Tool hanging scale is going to say 15lbs even.  I can live with that.

What I can't live with is that my spindle bolt in the left spindle stripped while I was trying to remove it.  It stripped with less pressure than I had put on the right spindle, so I am unable to use my white pedals with the bike like I had wanted to.  I have to use my black, cro-moly pedals unless I want to oder a new set of pedal bodies and use them.  I may do that in the future, but for now, the black pedals work just fine.


The Arundel Mandible cages are light weight and beautiful.  The Slipstream argyle is an identical match for my frame and Garmin to boot.  The cages came with 2 bottle cage bolts each, but they're a touch heavier than the bolts that come on my frame, so I wont be using them.  Arundel is a small company in Texas and they make excellent stuff.  I kind of wish the shop carried there stuff so I could E.P. from them, but that wouldn't have helped me here.  These are limited edition cages made for Slipstream and only sold on their site.  That's right, I paid retail.

The next things up are new brakes and new wheels.  I already have the brakes, but I probably wont get new wheels until the new year.  Then, it's just a matter of saving up for a new group, and the bike will be finished.  Then, just maybe, I'll get back to writing about rides.  Maybe.

No comments: