16 February, 2012

Lighter Weight Bike Update

I outlined in an earlier post my grand plan for weight loss, and mentioned how I lost 23g by cutting off the excess seatpost from my already scary light Woodman.  Step two showed up at the shop yesterday in the form of two carbon bottle cages from Specialized.  I know, I know, more of the big red S.

In that earlier post, I stated that the alloy cage I was currently using weighed 50g.  I was off by 5g, they're 45g.  When I weighed the Allez for base weight, it only had one cage on it because the other broke and it's winter, so I only roll with one cage because I barely finish a 20oz bottle on a three hour ride.  No need for 2 cages until it gets warmer.  

My new cages claim to weigh "less than 23g" each.  I assume they're that vague with the weight since some of the cages are painted (like the ones I bought) and some are carbon with clearcoat.  Regardless, it's not true.  Mine weigh 23g and 24g for a total of 47g.  Two cages for almost the same weight as one and they perfectly match my bike as well.  If I added an additional alloy cage to the base weight of the Allez it would go from 17.875lb to 17.974, so I consider it a weight savings even though I added weight over the measured base weight.

The only down side is that it is ridiculously difficult to get bottles out of it.  I have the plastic version of this cage on my MTB and they're tough too, but I'm always stopped when I drink on the trails.  Carbon doesn't tend to "break in" so I doubt it's going to be any easier in the future.  The old style Rib Cage used to spit a bottle out way too easily, so I assume that the difficulty I'm experiencing now is their "fix."  

Step 3 has been ordered and should show up at the shop in the next few weeks.  I'll let you know when it comes in and how much weight I saved.  I'm guessing it will be at least 100g.  Until then, here's a look at my fancy water bottle cage.  


No comments: