08 February, 2012

Return Of The Mother Fucker!

Long time readers may remember the post about The Mother Fucker I did a few years back, but if you don't recall, here's a brief reminder... I hated it.  It's a little over a mile in length, but it's a real cock tease.  It starts off as a false flat and then hits you up with a 6% grade.  At the time I had a standard crank and had been riding for less than a year, so it was daunting.  Today, not so much.


I had gone out today with the plan on doing some big miles (for me) and hitting up at least two big climbs, if my legs felt up for it.  I did PowerAdvantage last night, so I wasn't sure how I was going to feel.  The weather was calling for snow starting in the late afternoon, so I wanted to get out before then.  I decided to head out 23 to The Mother Fucker (Jug Hollow Rd), go through Valley Forge, ride up to Wayne and then come back home.

The ride on 23 was completely uneventful until I got to Valley Forge and then every asshole in a Ford started buzzing me.  Every other car gave me tons of space but for whatever reason, Ford drivers are cock suckers.  I couldn't have been happier to see Valley Park Rd.

Once I found Jug Hollow, I slowed up my pace a little because I hadn't been on the road in so long, and my memory had built it up to be such a bad thing, I wanted to make sure I had enough in the tank to get up it.  The false flat was longer than I had remembered, but the left turn and kick up in grade was exactly how it had been etched into my mind.  I just buried my head and went at it.

The whole climb was longer than I recalled, but it was broken up into sections that made climbing it easier than I thought.  I'd be lying if I said it was an easy climb, but it isn't super challenging either.  I got to the top, pedaled it out and felt as good as I had before the climb thirty seconds later.  So long Mother Fucker... hello Jug Hollow Rd.

After finishing out the loop I do on the backside of the park, I started to see flurries.  Knowing the weather called for snow and not wanting to get caught out in it on a road bike, I hopped over onto the SRT and took it back to Norristown.  My legs were a little tired, but I think I could have done the two mile climb out of VF into Wayne.  From Wayne, it's all downhill to Bport, so I'm fairly certain I could have done the ride I had planned.  We'll have to wait until next week to see.

Anywho, here's the ride:


No comments: