05 January, 2012

Hed Belgium + Chris King = YesPlease

Title says it all. I went out on a 2.5 hour CX ride with Jude and Jeremy (wrench and sales guys from the shop and all around awesome guys) and it was fantastic. Jude knows a lot of trails in the area and he showed us some that I had never been on around Betzwood. We skipped the more MTB type terrain and just stuck with some single track and rooty, rocky dirt trails. About half of the trails I had been on before with my cross bike, and I would get bounced around and have a hard time pedaling out of things. So I was blown away today when I just rolled over roots and barely felt it. The bike is so much more comfortable in every situation. They're noticeably stiffer as well. Because of the wider rim, the tire is pulled wider and the handling is much improved, both on road and off.

The bottom line is I'm stoked. I may end up running a tubeless set of the Captain CX tires I'm running now (which are just awesome, by the way), in the future, and word of mouth is that the feel of the Belgium rims with tubeless tires is pretty close to a tubular. Seeing as how I just rotated the tires for the first time a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure I have a lot of time before that will happen. But it is on the list. If you're looking for a custom built wheel, road or cross, look into this combo.

No comments: