25 January, 2012

Power Advantage Class/ Allez First Impression

I got to the shop early today so that I could finish putting together the Allez and dial it in (read: make it work).  After bending the derailleur hanger and making some cable adjustments, It's all good.  I slapped on the white Speedplay Zero pedals I bought for the Tarmac, but never got to use, and some white Roubaix bartape and she was ready for some Power Advantage.  

Before the class, I took the Allez out into the parking lot to get an impression, and it's all good.  The bottom bracket stiffness is noticeable, the front end responds just like the Tarmac and it's more comfortable over "the bump" than the Tarmac was.  There's a bit more "road chatter", but not enough that I would be like "Damn!  This bike is so harsh!"  

The Force group, now fully functional, is great.  Same immediate response as the Rival on the Guru, but with a lighter, more positive interface.  The BB30 crank is really, really, really smooth.  The entire class I was amazed by how easily it turned over.  It's smoother than any other BB30 crank I've used, which is odd, because I don't think they're SRAM bearings.  I really like it though.  

As for the class, this is where I had planned to post up my Garmin info so you can see how little power I make, but how consistently I apply it.  However, my PowerTap hub felt differently.  

When I got the wheelset, within days... not weeks, not months, DAYS... I got a "power meter battery low" prompt on my Garmin.  I rode no problems for a few more weeks and then my numbers started becoming erratic and then stopped reading power all together.  Since they rushed the wheelsets out to us (because they had none because they're so new), we were unsure of what to expect, so I assumed that they had done testing with our wheels and run the batteries down.  Nope.  These things just eat up batteries.  I have no numbers for tonight's class because the battery died again and I couldn't use my power meter.  I was kind of pissed.  I got the wheels in mid October and I'm on my third battery.  Fucking clown shoes.  How am I supposed to confidently sell these to people when I have to include "Oh, and while you're at it, you're going to need to drop an additional $60 on batteries a year to be able to use the wheels."  It is really easy to swap out the battery, but at this point, I really wish they had a rechargeable battery.  I'm much more okay with plugging it in over night once a week than I am dropping coin on a new battery every month.  

So, there we have it.  Allez good, PowerTap needs improvements.  Hooray.  I'm supposed to be going on a CX ride tomorrow with Drew, so hopefully I'll have something for you then.  

No comments: